Sr. Mechanical Manager
Los Angeles, CA 90001
Job Type: Exempt
State::CA City:Los Angeles
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2018.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are currently searching for a strong Senior Mechanical Manager to join our Engineering team in our Los Angeles, CA or Irvine, CAregional offices.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, this position will provide support for all central mechanical systems throughout our communities in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego, CA. In this role, you will serve as the first line technical resource for mechanical, electrical, & plumbing (MEP) and other building systems. You will also assist portfolio and on-site maintenance staff with Capital Projects and Community inspections.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor all work of the service vendors associated with the Community mechanical systems
- Assist on-site trouble shooting of reoccurring mechanical issues
- Provide technical support to management on mechanical and maintenance issues
- Work with vendors to manage mechanical system repairs
- Provide communities with equipment analysis and input for future capital expenditures
- Develop specifications for capital expenditure projects not requiring professional engineering services
- Help manage capital expenditure projects, through planning, budgeting, and execution
- Execute contracts and follows through capital expenditure projects to punch-out and completion
- Assist the portfolio and on-site maintenance staff in community inspections
- Assist the portfolio maintenance staff in the support and development of on-site maintenance management in their role of managing personnel at the site level and developing a thorough understanding of our business
- Act as technical resource for MEP and building systems
- Review MEP plans for new construction
- Assist with commissioning process, acceptance, and turnover of systems for new construction
Our ideal candidate brings aBachelor’s Degree in Engineering, OR a Bachelor’s Degree with 5 years of progressive maintenance management responsibility in property management, building services, hospitality or other dynamic environment. Additionally, this person should have 3+ years’ experience with development, budgeting and execution of capital expenditure projects and have strong working knowledge of all HVAC systems. This person should also have experience with cooling towers, boilers, split systems, heat pumps, aqua-therm, elevator, building management, water distribution, electrical distribution, emergency generators, fire pumps, fire detection, and fire suppression systems. This person should also possess the ability to distinguish between color-coded wires for troubleshooting and for repair to central systems. They will need to have experience with hydronic boilers up to 500 horsepower and experience with associated equipment to include pumps, generators, water treatment and air handling units.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.