Assistant Financial Controller
Tucson, AZ 85716
I. OVERALL PURPOSE
The Assistant Controller (AC) shall receive direction from the Controller on specific accounting related projects. The AC will need to complete these functions independently, and then accurately and promptly report the information. These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
II. JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee the month-end close process for assigned properties including accrual analysis & financial reporting.
• Participate in the development of and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
• Prepare general ledger account reconciliations and bank statement reconciliations as assigned.
• Assist with payroll processes and preparation
• Review and post journal entries prepared by other staff
• Perform monthly balance sheet and income statement variance analysis
• Assist in assessing internal controls, including risk assessments
• Perform various operational financial analysis as needed, including developing benchmark reporting
• Assist with compliance with local, state, and federal tax laws & regulations
• Assist with coordinating and review information for external auditors and tax return preparation
• Assist in the coordination and output of the annual budget process
• Ensure the timely process of month end close, payroll, accounts payable/E-payables, revenue & delinquencies and cash. Develop ways to streamline daily, weekly, monthly processes and automate reporting and closing
• Special projects as arise and are required
III. ADDITIONAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
• The AC will need to be methodical and accurate in their analysis and be able to clearly and precisely communicate accounting information. Additionally, the AC will need to demonstrate the ability to critically and analytically approach tasks and display self-motivation in the independent completion of projects. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge and expertise with Microsoft Excel. Experience with Microsoft Access or similar SQL applications is desired, as is experience with Crystal Reports or similar report writing tools. Exposure to Yardi Voyager considered very favorably. In addition, programming or computer language knowledge will be extremely useful for the successful candidate.
IV. JOB SPECIFICATIONS
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to organize and plan work adhering to deadlines; excellent communication skills including ability to follow and administer verbal and written instruction; ability to prioritize and manage multiple work projects; ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the organization; ability to favorably represent the company; excellent leadership, two-way communication, judgment, creativity, negotiation and conflict resolution skills; ability to interpret and apply data relating to position; ability to adjust to rapidly changing circumstances and priorities; basic knowledge of human behavior and management techniques.
Education/Training: Bachelor's degree in accounting and 4+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to those with recent real estate property management experience. Preference will also be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Duties not listed within the position description may be required of the employee at the discretion of the department management. Job functions may vary due to irregular working conditions or multiple shift positions.