Essex Property Trust, Inc. Irvine, CA 92602
About this job
The IT team is hiring an enthusiastic and independent minded Network Engineer who will be part of the team responsible for administrating the network infrastructure that serves both the resident communities and corporate employees of Essex Property Trust.
We will look toward your unique skill set to identify and solve problems in your own way. Whether engineering a system to address a specific technical hurdle or improving our existing infrastructure and procedures, you are empowered to engage and lead cross-functionally.
In the role of Network Engineer you will focus on the evaluation, architecture, development, deployment, and operation of network, endpoint and cloud systems. You will have a broad level of responsibilities and the freedom to solve problems using your unique experience.
Essential Functions include:
- Strong fundamental experience in networking principles and practices.
- 3+ years of expertise in implementing, administering, and troubleshooting network infrastructure devices, including: firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers, wireless access points and controllers.
- Strong working knowledge of Palo Alto Networks and Meraki platforms. (3+ years)
- Must have experience in network tools such as Cacti, Nagios, RANCID, SNMP and Netflow.
- Able to handle multiple, complex, short term projects and incidents simultaneously.
- Comfortable documenting and explaining network topologies and diagrams explain and plan for future upgrades.
- Resolve production issues minimizing system down time, and ensuring that the network is operational.
- Proactively identify and correct network issues, bandwidth bottlenecks, and upgrade both PAN/Meraki software and hardware as needed.
- Recommend enhancements for corporate network design and components.
- Develop network reports on the health and status of the network.
- Document the network and updates documentation whenever changes are performed (change management).
- Work closely with other members of the IT Operations Team.
- Ability to independently analyze problems, research potential technical solutions, evaluate alternatives, and present recommendations to the leadership team.
A valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance is required.
- College degree in computer science, data communications, electrical or computer engineering or an equivalent combination of course work and experience.
- Experience in IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles, routing protocol operation (OSPF, BGP and MPLS).
- Experience with VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.)
- Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching including STP, RSTP and Ether Channel.
- At least 3 years experience in supporting enterprise networking environment with expert level understanding on various operating system internals, clustering, event debugging and issue resolution.
- Proficiency in administering production Palo Alto firewalls.
- Proficiency in administering production Meraki network devices.
- Linux/Windows administration experience a strong plus.
- CCNA/CCNP or comparable certifications are a strong plus.