Construction Services Manager I
Washington, DC 20005
Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community – employees and residents – striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we live and work together. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
Under the direction of the VP of Construction Services or Construction Services Director, the Construction Services Manager (CSM) is responsible for managing, evaluating, and implementing construction projects for the assigned portfolio (up to 40 properties). Employing strong organizational and communication skills, the CSM will simultaneously oversee the execution and progress of multiple construction projects throughout the portfolio, primarily consisting of common area/amenity upgrades (lobbies, leasing offices, fitness centers, etc), and capital improvement projects (hallways, facades/roofs, mechanical systems, fixtures, etc).
WHO YOU ARE
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- Proactive and Productive. You take initiative, manage your work efficiently, meet your deadlines, and consistently go above and beyond to contribute quality work and to assist other team members and business partners.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while confidently interacting with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- A Solution-Oriented Team Player. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Energetic and Positive. You are an outgoing, gregarious brand ambassador who motivates and excites others to elevate their performance.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop construction specifications and the methodology of evaluating, validating, recommending, and implementing projects that are approved.
- Execute construction projects by developing scope and specifications, bidding and contracting for the work, and managing the inspection and payment process pursuant to the contracts.
- Act as project manager for all construction projects within the assigned portfolio.
- Provide ongoing reports and updates on the progress of all assigned projects to Construction and Property Operations team members.
- Collaborate with CSM and RFM team to develop a list of capital needs and budget estimates on an annual basis.
- Coordinate and develop a ten-year Capital Plan on all existing assets and maintain the plans on an ongoing basis.
- Organize and conduct the physical evaluation component in the due diligence process for new acquisitions.
- Propose initial recommendations on the retention of specialty engineers in due diligence such as central HVAC systems, unusual structural conditions, or where other complex elements exist.
- Create and manage a preferred vendor program and corresponding vendor relationships. Continually validate and test their pricing and quality of work to ensure the continuation of financial benefits to EQR.
- Act as a support resource to Regional Managers, Facility Services Managers, and Investment Officers by providing support on capital projects, coordinating and assisting with development of ten-year Capital Plans, and maintaining plans on an ongoing basis.
- Strong background in construction project management (minimum 2-4 years) or facility maintenance management (minimum 5 years) required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field preferred.
- Self starting team player who is flexible and collaborative with business partners.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Proficiency with writing scopes, bidding projects, and negotiating with contractors required.
- Experience with high-rise mechanical and electrical systems preferred.
- Familiarity with computer programs and systems, including Google apps, word processing, spreadsheet preparation and analysis, online procurement, etc.
- Flexibility for frequent local travel within the assigned portfolio.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan