Manhattan, NY 10036
Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community – employees and residents – striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we live and work together. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
Under the direction of the Vice President, the Area Manager is responsible for the overall operations of each community in his/her portfolio, which is typically three to five communities. Our Area Managers are strong, dynamic team leaders with a passion for employee engagement and a strong focus on coaching performance that drives resident satisfaction and financial results. An an Area Manager, you will provide direction to your property management leadership team and will be accountable for your portfolio’s overall business results — which include an emphasis on customer service, employee performance, and the implementation of corporate initiatives. This position requires a close working relationship with your Vice President in order to prepare for the additional responsibilities associated with the eventual promotion into a Regional Manager role.
As an Area Manager, your days will be full, fast-paced, and challenging. You will monitor a wide array of performance metrics, implement strategies to meet operational and leasing goals, analyze and respond to changing market conditions, and identify areas for improvement. You will direct operational, sales, and maintenance initiatives throughout your portfolio, exemplifying Equity Residential’s brand each and every day by thinking like an owner and ensuring that your team members have the resources they need to be successful and to deliver on our resident commitments.
At Equity, being a leader is much more than sitting in an office directing others from behind a computer screen; we believe in leading by example and walking in the shoes of the people you manage. To be a successful Area Manager, you will spend more time in the field than in the corporate office — walking your communities with Community Managers and Service Managers and supplementing your already robust knowledge of your communities, competitors, and market conditions with direct feedback and input of all on-site team members. You will also leverage your strengths in relationship building on a daily basis, partnering with colleagues across all levels and departments of the organization (Facilities, Investments, HR, Capital/Renovation, etc.) with the shared goal of maximizing the potential of asset performance and property employees in your region.
- A Leader. You build effective teams and provide direction to help those teams achieve goals and operate cooperatively and cohesively.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connected well with others.
- A Talent Owner. You will use a variety of approaches to help others develop their capabilities.
- A Savvy Operator. You understand the business and use good judgment to guide it.
- Organized and Accountable. You have exceptional management abilities and are able to juggle the needs of changing priorities at your communities while accomplishing objectives through motivating a high-performing team.
- Creative. You are an idea person and like coming up with smart solutions and new challenges.
- Levelheaded. You keep your cool during stressful situations and quickly find solutions.
- Flexible and Adaptable. You understand that the world does not exist through black and white lenses and embrace opportunity to live in the gray.
- Confident and Decisive. You take initiative, trust your gut, and are not afraid to make decisions or deliver a difficult message.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals and help your teams reach theirs.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, letting your teams and residents know that they matter.
- Provide leadership and direction to the management teams of approximately three to five properties, ensuring that properties are operating under all applicable EQR policies, procedures and programs.
- Teach and model strong real estate and people judgment.
- Motivate staff through positive recognition and strong leadership.
- Implement company-wide initiatives by marshalling resources within the portfolio to remove obstacles and deliver results, communicating the “why” in order to lead change and deliver results, and adapting company initiatives within the scope of the program to meet property-specific needs.
- Monitor performance of portfolio, people and functional groups. Understand financial statements and property metrics to assess portfolio performance and drive business results.
- Prepare and assist Vice President in preparing annual budget and make recommendations regarding the operating plans and capital improvement projects for each property, monitoring budget compliance and operating plans throughout the year.
- Play a key role at portfolio/regional meetings, presenting information pertaining to goals and/or results, employee recognition, etc.
- Collaborate with corporate departments in the implementation and monitoring of programs and processes at the properties. These include legal and audit compliance, regulatory agency compliance, risk management, safety, marketing initiatives, training, pricing, procurement, preventive maintenance, contract services, and ancillary services.
- Oversee the administration of all maintenance and leasing activities at the properties. Conduct property visits/inspections and provides direction on operations and resident issues. Interact with residents to resolve escalated customer service issues.
- Review and approve reports from properties including payroll changes, payables, and status reports. Approve purchase orders and invoices as necessary.
- Perform duties normally associated with a supervisory position, such as hiring, training, coaching, workforce planning, performance management, salary administration, disciplinary counseling, and termination of subordinates. Provide guidance to Community Managers on the same matters. Maintain an open door policy to address employee issues and concerns.
- Perform market analysis of competitive product and review results of competitive surveys with the Pricing Department to develop pricing strategies and monitor results. Communicate frequently with Vice President, Investments Team, and other senior management, keeping them informed of any market changes, staffing issues and capital items.
- Ensure a smooth transition during the management of property dispositions or acquisitions within assigned portfolio.
- Represent the company in a professional manner at all times. Consistently maintain a professional, courteous attitude when dealing with residents, subordinates, coworkers, and the general public.
- Minimum of 3 years of multi-site portfolio management and supervisory experience
- Top-notch communication skills, including excellent writing, presenting, and public speaking abilities
- Demonstrated leadership abilities with community teams and peers, strong personnel management skills, and excellent communication skills required
- Solid track record of employee development and engagement
- Proven performer with a reputation for results and attention to detail
- BA/BS degree strongly preferred
- Relevant industry designation (CAM, CPM, etc.) and active involvement with industry associations (NAA, IREM, etc.) a plus
- High-rise and mixed-use (retail) experience highly desired
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan