Business Systems Analyst 60606
About this job
Equity Residential is an S&P 500 real estate company and an industry leading multi-family REIT, headquartered in downtown Chicago. Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
As a Business Systems Analyst on the Information Technology team, you will be responsible for aligning technology to business strategy. Your role is to work closely with business partners to define technology objectives, determine where improvements can be made, and help develop systems and processes that benefit those business improvement goals. Therefore, core responsibilities include gathering and translating business requirements into functional and technical design documents and wireframes, as well as drafting and executing software test scripts. The Business Systems Analyst will serve as the technical subject-matter expert and provide guidance to cross-functional teams and internal business partners in order to effectively deliver technology initiatives while ensuring both quality and objectives are met throughout the project. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to prioritize, multitask, think strategically, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills. Expect to be a key member of the company’s IT team, which means you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in a variety of projects, from building complex reporting to implementing a new system. Above all, you’ll have a direct hand in delivering tools that enable your business partners to be most successful in driving the organization forward and meeting their day-to-day goals.
- Knowledgeable. Your background includes a combination of business and information technology, which you’ve built through both educational and professional experiences. You’re comfortable with information gathering, data collection, and data analysis, in addition to problem solving with a customer focus in mind. In addition, you have a broad-based familiarity with building data models, evaluating trends, and identifying areas for improvement. Without a doubt, you’ve got strong analytical skills and you know how to apply them accordingly across a variety of data-related activities.
- Technologically Savvy. You’ve got a solid proficiency in writing SQL queries, along with a deep knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and Google Apps for Business. You’re also comfortable working with spreadsheets and relational database concepts and have a knack for quickly mastering new software. In other words, technology is one of your closest friends!
- Project Manager. When it comes to integrating business process with systems you enjoy being the conduit with your business partners to lead the project execution and train affected users. You also work closely with business partners to gather needs systematically, review viable solutions, test new functionality along the way, and track post-implementation results. Data helps you schedule work, implement agreed-upon changes, and complete assigned projects timely.
- Problem Solver. Your previous experience has increased your understanding of data relationships, which has influenced your ability to identify relevant trends and effectively summarize possible solutions. As a result, you are often the go-to when it comes to translating business needs into functional and technical requirements for development staff.
- Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear, articulate, and effective, demonstrating your ability to interact with all levels and various teams within the organization and be understood. In addition, you’re skilled in compiling and delivering presentations that help to coordinate efforts between business partners and IT. By delivering clear communication, you help to ensure that projects stay on time, deliverables meet budget, and key stakeholders are aware of project statuses.
- Organized, Efficient, and Accountable. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and meet deadlines consistently. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on delivering quality work. Above all, you are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the business. In other words, you handle pressure well and do so with confidence!
- Passionate. Motivated. Eager to Learn. You are resourceful, ask smart questions, challenge the status quo, and regularly seek to understand. You invest extra energy to reach your goals. And when a special project arises, you volunteer!
- Maintain confidentiality. The ability to work with confidential information, while using discretion, is crucial to this position.
- Analyze and document business requirements for projects and software customizations or configurations, you will collaborate with development staff to translate requirements into functional and technical requirements.
- Coordinate software project efforts between business partners and IT by managing communication of project status, timing, deliverables, and budget to key stakeholders.
- Write basic SQL statements in order to analyze and compare datasets, looking for trends, issues, or areas for improvement.
- Implement and manage standard testing procedures for system changes, which may include creating, reviewing, executing, and tracking test plans and results. You will also be responsible for validating testing procedures to ensure they meet both business and technical requirements.
- Review and present software upgrades to business partners. Once new or enhanced functionality has been released, you will analyze and test new features and help guide your business partners on using new functionality.
- Participate in acquisition activities as new properties are folded into the Equity Residential portfolio. This may include gathering, formatting, loading, and auditing acquired business data.
- Provide assistance to IT Support team by reviewing issues reported from end users, determining and reconciling discrepancies, solving for root cause of errors, and establishing procedures to correct them.
- Provide ongoing consultation, functional support, and training to ensure effective understanding of software, systems, and tools to business partners and end-users.
- Handle special projects as needed.
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving capabilities, as well as project management experience.
- Solid experience utilizing solution delivery lifecycle methodologies.
- Must be proficient in documenting use cases and experienced in software quality assurance and technology testing practices.
- Proven strong work ethic, ability to make decisions, and adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment, without sacrificing quality of work product. Detail oriented and well-organized, with an exceptional ability to multi-task.
- Team player that demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with others.
- Strong communication and presentation skills – able to speak and write in a clear and articulate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work with confidential information and use discretion.
- Motivated to succeed with capacity to assume increasing responsibility.
- Bachelor's degree required, with an emphasis in business or information technology preferred; 3+ years relevant business analysis and/or project management work experience required.
- Proficiency in writing SQL queries required.
- Familiarity working with Google Apps for Business and Microsoft Office suite. Advanced Microsoft Excel data analysis skills required.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Full-time
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan