Project Safety Manager
Position Type: Full Time
State: California City: Dublin
Zip Code: 94568
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Project Safety Manager works with the Safety and Health Director, Regional Safety Manager, Project Manager and Superintendents in support of AvalonBay Corporate Safety and Health program requirements as well as compliance with municipal, state, and federal safety and health requirements. This role serves as the project-level contact for all safety and health matters. The Project Safety Manager will support projects in the Bay Area region. This function fosters a positive Safety culture while working with others to achieve an environment that is free from recognized hazards. The Project Safety Manager identifies, manages, and controls hazardous conditions that may lead to injury, property damage, and other losses.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ceases work when conditions or circumstances are related to an immediate danger to life and health condition (IDLH) on a project. Works with AvalonBay and contractor staff to correct IDLH conditions.
- Recommends corrective action(s) for non-compliant conditions based on AvalonBay policies and applicable safety and health regulations.
- Investigates safety and health issues, including incidents involving injury or property damage on behalf of AvalonBay.
- Communicates with project staff and subcontractors in connection with resolving project safety and health issues.
- Provides safety and health leadership on the project. Builds working relationships with project staff and Subcontractors to develop fully-compliant project.
- Enforces safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all municipal, state, and federal regulations.
- Ensures compliance with AvalonBay Safety and Health policies and project specific plans.
- Provides mentoring, education, and training for AvalonBay associates and trade partners.
- Educates project staff on AvalonBay Construction Safety policies and procedures. Conducts training on AvalonBay safety and health programs as well as general construction safety topics as necessary to ensure project staff can recognize existing hazards.
- Conducts and documents project-wide safety and health inspections of assigned projects daily.
- Assists the Safety Director and Safety Department in overall program improvement, implementation and expansion as directed.
- Develops and maintains current Construction Project Safety and Health Plans.
- Assists the project team with weekly contractor and internal project safety meetings. Along with Superintendents, conducts new hire Safety orientation briefings.
- Provides safety and health metrics for the project. Analyzes observation and injury data for trends. Makes recommendations for improvement(s).
- Reviews contractor Safety and Health submittals. Provides recommendations to improve contractor’s written safety and health documents.
- Documents Safety and Health inspections, issues report of compliant/non-compliant conditions.Tracks corrective action(s) by contractors to completion.
- Relevant trade, or industry experience and/or college degree.
- At least three (3) years of safety specific experience in Construction, particularly in high density wood frame construction.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint experience a must
- Possesses a working knowledge of OSHA Construction Safety and Health regulations, national consensus standards, as well as municipal and state regulations governing construction project safety and health.
- Professional certifications such as Associate Safety Professional (ASP®), Certified Safety Professional (CSP®), Construction Health and Safety Technologist (CHST®) are desired
- Membership in associations such as the ASSP, ABC, NFPA, or NSC are encouraged
- Bi-Lingual is a plus.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 27299