Accountant, Private Equity
San Mateo, CA
Essex provides great communities in which to live, work and invest. We are a purpose-driven company, and we pride ourselves on promoting an internal culture of growth and opportunity by engaging, enabling and empowering our teams. Working at Essex is not a destination. It is a journey where you can confidently build your career. Our associates are offered competitive salaries, experience career growth, and receive comprehensive benefit packages such as medical, dental, vision, 401k employer match, excellence rewards, wellness programs and more.
Essex requires that all successful applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment. Essex is an equal opportunity employer and will consider requests for exemption from this policy as a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Essex’s vaccination policy.
Essex seeks a Private Equity Accountant (local candidates only), whose strengths lie in financial analysis and reporting, to join its co-investment team in its San Mateo, California office. The Private Equity Accountant reports directly to the Private Equity Controller.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review property level financials
- Prepare joint venture level journal entries including fair value entries
- Prepare joint venture level quarterly financial packages
- Develop basic understanding of governing joint venture agreements
- Perform internal audit functions
- Perform cash management
- Prepare capital call notices and distributions
- Assist with annual audits and tax returns
- Assist with annual property budget packages
- Work on special projects as requested by co-investment department, investors and lenders
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- 3-5 years of strong, general full-cycle accounting experience preferably in real estate or investment management
- 1-2 years of interaction with internal/external auditors
- Solid understanding of accounting principles and familiarity with GAAP
- High proficiency in Excel; knowledge of Yardi a plus
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must be able to work well independently
- Must be able to work within prescribed deadlines, display initiative and exercise good judgment