Sr Maintenance Technician
Essex provides great communities in which to live, work and invest. We are a purpose-driven company, and we pride ourselves on promoting an internal culture of growth and opportunity by engaging, enabling and empowering our teams. Working at Essex is not a destination. It is a journey where you can confidently build your career. Our associates are offered competitive salaries, experience career growth, and receive comprehensive benefit packages such as medical, dental, vision, 401k employer match, excellence rewards, wellness programs and more.
Essex requires that all successful applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and provide proof of vaccination prior to commencement of employment. Essex is an equal opportunity employer and will consider requests for exemption from this policy as a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Essex’s vaccination policy.
Position is reserved for assets with 400 or more units or is part of a multi-site management team. The Sr Maintenance Technician is responsible for all maintenance aspects of the community’s operations and objectives, and to act in that capacity in the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor. Accountable for: completion of general maintenance tasks including work orders and unit turns, maintaining the physical asset, participating in the on-call rotation for after-hours emergencies, and providing a quality living environment for residents. This position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor and Community Manager.
Key responsibilities of the Sr Maintenance Technician include, but are not limited to the following:
- Completes maintenance projects with minimal supervision, including defining scopes of work needed, solicitation of vendor bids, cost analysis, vendor selection and supervision, and contract compliance consistent with Company policy and direction from the Community Manager and CMS
- Assists with administration of maintenance functions and accurate tracking of inventory for repair and maintenance
- Performs pre-move out and move out inspections providing guidance to Maintenance Supervisor or Community Manager on charges and turnover tasks
- Maintains the highest level of customer service for prospects, residents, vendors, and corporate departments
- Assumes responsibility for all maintenance tasks in the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor, consistently leads by example
- Compliance with company standards as defined in the Human Resources Policy Manual, Operations Playbook and applicable laws, e.g., Fair Housing, Landlord Tenant, Local Building Codes, OSHA, and EEOC
Sr Maintenance Technician Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent, college or trade school preferred
- Relevant certification (e.g., HVAC, CPO) strongly preferred
- Two to four years industry experience or related general contract maintenance experience
- Ability to assist in supervision staff of three or more associates
- Proficient knowledge of electrical, plumbing, and appliance repair with hands on experience
- Knowledge of environmental or industrial hazards (i.e., asbestos, lead, mold, radon) as they apply to residential housing
- Available to be on-call when requested and promptly respond to work order requests during assigned periods, except during meal periods and rest breaks during which time employee is relieved of all duties and the Company relinquishes any control over how employee spends this time
- Proven organizational and time management skills
- Ability to read and write English; speak English and understand spoken English
- General understanding of the Microsoft suite, property management software preferred