Manager of Capital Projects
Position Type: Full Time
State: Massachusetts City: Boston
Zip Code: 02210
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Manager of Capital Projects oversees and is responsible leading the planning, due diligence, scoping, design, and execution of capital projects across the region. This role will develop scopes of work, budgets, and execution plans that align with business objectives set by Asset Management. They will lead cross-functional Asset Teams to execute on those business objectives and provide reporting on progress for all assigned projects in the region.
- Partners with Asset Management, Investments, Design, Residential Services, and Engineering to develop scopes of work, conceptual plans, budgets, execution schedules, and logistical plans for projects within the region; pursue entitlements and permits; and create investment packages.
- Oversees the implementation of capital plans identified by Asset Management, Investments, Residential Services, and Retail and is responsible for ensuring capital projects are planned, approved, and executed within the designated timeline and budget, and that quality and company goals are achieved.
- Provides recurring reporting and updates for partners and executives on progress, status, and results of all capital projects within regions.
- Monitors capital budgets, spending, and planning schedule to ensure project is confining to approved budget and staying on target of execution schedule.
- Maintains knowledge of Company Construction & Design standards, documentation requirements, contract requirements, and reporting standards and ensures projects confine to these standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3-7 years of general asset management experience, with 2-3 of those years in a lead project management role
- Multi-family or attached residential experience required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills including the ability to lead Asset Teams on for assigned projects.
- Motivates members of internal and external teams through influence and demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated ability to shepherd multiple capital projects through the entire process, from concept to turnover to Residential Services (Property Management), while communicating with and managing a diverse group of team members to reach the desired goals/timelines, including both third party consultants (i.e., designers, architects, and engineers) and internal AVB associates.
- Works independently on assets with varying degrees of complexity and maintains a strong sense of self-awareness knowing when to ask for help on more complex projects.
- Makes decisions and evaluates situations with imperfect information.
- Hires, manages, and develops high-quality associates.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 26863