Construction Summer Intern
Los Angeles, CA
Position Type: Temporary (Full Time)
State: California City: Los Angeles
Zip Code: 90025
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
We have intern positions in new construction, redevelopment and construction support services.
We are looking for the right candidate to join our construction team as a summer intern. The internship will be based at one or more construction projects in the LA area.
As an intern, you will gain experience in the construction management of multi-family apartment communities in Seattle and the surrounding areas. This opportunity will provide exposure to a variety of stages in the construction management process such as site and concrete work, framing, rough mechanicals, finishes, budgeting and scheduling.
In addition, you will collaborate with Superintendents, Project Managers, Contractors, Subcontractors, Lead Engineers and Architects, gaining an advanced understanding of the different roles that are required for successful construction projects.
The intern will also learn how changes, clarifications, directives, RFIs, etc. are updated in real-time and coordinated with team members and subcontractors/suppliers to maintain smooth and efficient schedules.
AvalonBay Communities has a commitment to integrity—doing the right thing, always. The intern will learn about our Incident and Injury-Free Workplace safety culture, how to recognize and reinforce best safety practices, and gain a comprehensive understanding of different safety laws and regulations.
Qualified candidates must be enrolled in an undergraduate Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or related program. Prior construction-related internships or work experience is beneficial, but not required.
The ideal candidate would have
- The ability to quickly pick up new skills
- The desire to expand their base knowledge of construction and gain exposure to new areas of the business
- Proficient computer skills including the ability to work in spread sheets, word processors, etc.
- Strong leadership and management abilities
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay requires all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a request for exemption as a reasonable accommodation has been approved.Job ID 26837