San Mateo, CA
At Essex, we provide outstanding communities in which to live, work and invest. Our associates are offered competitive salaries, experience career growth, and receive comprehensive benefit packages such as medical, dental, vision, 401k employer match, excellence rewards, wellness programs and more. Essex is committed to engaging, enabling, and empowering associates to thrive. We invite you to experience this exciting employee journey with us!
The primary goal of the Corporate Accounting team is to ensure that transactions occurring at the corporate level are recorded accurately and in a timely manner, which will allow the Company to issue internal and external financial results free of material errors. This position, along with other team members, will be responsible for performing month-end close duties. Additionally, this position will handle and record cash-related transactions that flow through our corporate cash accounts. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual with a solid accounting foundation who will enjoy working with the various operations and accounting teams within the Company.
Include but are not limited to the following:
* Complete month-end close duties, including reconciliations, journal entries, and various tasks
* Perform income statement and balance sheet fluctuation analyses
* Independently perform research/analysis, identify problems/discrepancies and their causes, and recommend corrective actions
* Perform payroll related activities
* Maintain debt activities (prepare & process wire requests, verify interest payments, and reconcile to amortization schedule)
* Work closely with the Corporate and Property Accounting teams and Property Managers to complete bank reconciliations and deposit clearing/adjustments.
* Deposit corporate checks, as needed. Clear deposits and checks in the Company’s accounting system (“Yardi Systems”) on a daily basis.
* Maintain Corporate and REIT consolidated cashbook on a daily basis.
* Take full charge of the cashbook including the beginning input stage, the research of unidentified deposits, miscellaneous credit/debit transactions, and month end closing.
* Assist with reconciling the purchasing card program (“P-Card”) Liability Account.
* Perform Utility Management Company Payable Import into Yardi Systems.
* Assist with equity pick-up entries for our co-investments.
* Research/Prepare Journal Entry related to acquisition/disposition of real estate properties and debt acquisition, refinance, and pay off.
* Assist with quarterly review and annual audits, including the compilation and preparation of supporting schedules, work papers, and financial reports related to areas of responsibility.
* Provide backup to other Corporate Accountants.
* Other duties and special projects as assigned.
I* mprove current processes to increase efficiency.
* Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business-related field required.
* Three or more years of accounting related experience and/or training is recommended.
* Must be self-directed, able to work independently, as well as work in a team-oriented and fast paced environment with strict deadlines.
* Excellent analytical abilities and spreadsheet skills.
* Attention to detail, and maintaining organized, accurate, and complete documentation records.
* Ability to work well under pressure and independently.
* High degree of integrity and honesty.
* Effective verbal and written communications skills.
* Strong Microsoft-Excel, Word skills.
* Online banking system experience is a plus.
* Yardi experience is a plus.