Affordable Housing Manager
San Jose, CA 95002
Job Type: Non Exempt
State::CA City:San Jose
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
AvalonBay is looking for an Affordable Housing Managerto join our Property Operations team in San Jose, California.
TheAffordable Housing Manager is responsible for completing and overseeing all activities related to affordable housing program compliance for a portfolio of assigned communities. Responsibilities include:
- Assist Affordable Housing Director with auditing compliance with all regulatory requirements and assist with necessary periodic reports for affordable housing programs.
- Monitor affordable housing vacancy and turnover.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries regarding AVB’s affordable housing program and provide guidance to on-site teams to ensure compliance with program.
- Manage performance of direct reports. Conduct performance appraisals; provide development support (e.g. coaching, counseling and training); make decisions regarding hiring or termination of staff.
- Monitor Affordable Housing Specialist work products (annual income certifications, etc.) to ensure compliance with all AVB and regulatory agreements, following internal and external operational policies and procedures.
- Assist Community Managers with conducting monthly lease expiration renewal process; including, but not limited to, researching payment histories and lease and policy violations for submission to Landlord Tenant Department, creating and mailing renewal letters to residents and Housing Assistance Agencies.
- Assist department with Housing Assistance (Section 8) documentation for move-in and renewals. Including effective communication with Housing Authority and on-site leasing office communities for rental amount and lease begin date negotiation.
- Support the community with waitlist updates based upon department policy and procedure.
- Support the Affordable Housing Director with developing and executing marketing plans for all new developments with an affordable component.
- 2 years of office administrative and affordable housing program management.
- Knowledge of the Federal Housing Choice Voucher (“Section 8”) Program.
- Ability to review, understands, comprehend and apply Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Federal Fair Housing guidelines.
- Prior personnel management experience.
- Attention to detail.
- Good organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills, a strong customer service focus, and strong sense of teamwork.
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.