San Jose, CA 95002
Job Type: Exempt
State::CA City:San Jose
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), in the business of acquiring, selling, constructing, developing, redeveloping and managing high-quality apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas primarily in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northern and Southern California regions of the United States. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Based in San Jose/San Francisco CA, the Manager of Asset Management is responsible for analyzing multiple aspects of the portfolio’s long-term performance, and developing, implementing and maintaining programs to manage the key performance indicators. Areas of focus include value creation, risk management, valuation, variance analysis, business relationship management, and asset specific projects.
Direct asset management responsibilities related to a portfolio of multifamily communities owned by AvalonBay and its joint venture investors. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work cross-functionally with AvalonBay’s Market Research, New Development, Construction, Investments, Property Operations and Legal Groups to identify value creation opportunities of AvalonBay’s portfolio.
- Develop and present recommendations for value-add opportunities in the portfolio such as developing strategies to manage to AvalonBay’s affordable housing obligations (e.g. the cost/benefit of redeeming tax-exempt bonds to bring affordable units to market), and strategies to enhance the value and cash flow performance of AvalonBay’s parking assets.
- Prepare performance projections and assess future capital investment (including redevelopment, CapEx, and value-add and expense savings investments) opportunities.
- Evaluate feasibility of value creation opportunities including assessing jurisdictional requirements, property physical attributes, and preliminary design and cost factors critical to success.
- Collaborate to identify key performance indicators (KPI) for portfolio performance.
- Model scenarios to understand portfolio performance versus submarket using KPIs and/or other metrics.
- Develop and maintain 10-year cash flows for asset level business planning.
- Coordinate immediate and long-term CapEx planning with Operations, Engineering, Construction and AM for asset level business planning.
- Maintain cash flow models, and perform/update analyses as required.
- Responsible for “ownership” of internal value estimates.
- Collaborate with AM, Investments and Operations to identify potential disposition candidates.
- Work with others within AvalonBay to assist in the performance of tasks necessary for the proper execution of the Asset Management teams’ objectives.
- Reports directly to SVP, Asset Management
Required Skills, Experience & Education:
Qualified candidates will have at a minimum a BA/BS degree and preferably an MBA in finance, real estate or related field, 3-7 years of experience in asset management, investments or property management within real estate, and preferably involving multifamily real estate. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential. This position involves interaction with internal AvalonBay constituents.
- Self-starter, takes initiative, and resourceful
- Fundamental understanding of value and creating value
- Knowledge of real estate property management operations and financial reporting
- Knowledge of entitlement and forward planning to assess value creation opportunities
- Communication skills—verbal and written—and Presentation skills
- Prioritization and organization skills with a strong ability to multi-task
- Ability to develop financial analysis and posses strong analytical and financial acumen.
- Computer literacy, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to demonstrate good business judgment and decision-making
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.