Redevelopment Construction Technician
Campbell, CA 95008
Essex Property Trust, Inc. is a fully integrated real estate investment trust (REIT) that acquires, develops, redevelops and manages multifamily properties in selected West Coast communities.
We are seeking an experienced renovation professional to be a member of an in-house renovation team in the remodeling of apartment interiors. The role will participate as part of a team in primarily kitchen and bath renovation efforts on multiple properties and have an active role in construction activities, procuring material, scheduling with the property/operations, reporting status, and communicating with supervisors.
The position will be based on-site and primarily working at 3 properties: The Commons, The Carlyle and Montclaire.
- Participate as a member of an on-site construction team actively involved in day to day interior renovation activities.
- Fundamental knowledge in most areas of residential construction including but not limited to:
- On-site installation of cabinets, doors, door hardware and cabinet re-face.
- Installation and repair of laminate countertops. (Tile and stone experience preferable)
- Plumbing fixture installation of sinks, faucets, disposals, angle stop valves, toilets and bathtubs.
- Electrical fixture installation of light fixtures, ceiling fans, outlets, GFCI and light switches
- Ability to prep and paint using paint sprayer, rollers, paint brush and masker.
- Knowledge of hanging drywall, small patch repairs, texture, mud and tape.
- Finish carpentry installation of door casings, bi-fold doors, by-pass doors, passage doors, and baseboards.
- Interact with material vendors and any sub-contractors to assure timely renovation execution and quality of work. Monitor work to assure all work follows plan, contract, scope of work, etc.
- Participate in material and supply management for renovation and any activities related to the team which can include work site and vehicle management.
- Participate in project meetings with construction manager and any other relevant parties at frequent intervals to discuss problems, progress, and coordination of work.
- Provide daily and weekly status of work and maintain high level of communication to Construction Manager and other corporate liaisons via phone, email and memo/ letter.
- Knowledge of equipment operating policies and procedures to ensure safety. Conduct monthly equipment checks to ensure equipment is functioning properly.
- Compliance with company standards as defined in the Policies and Procedure Manual and applicable laws, e.g. Fair Housing, Landlord Tenant, OSHA, and EEOC.
- Job requires mobility (i.e. climbing stairs, lifting, bending down, kneeling, climbing/standing on ladders) to perform construction related activities
- Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate small-motorized equipment (i.e., repetitive hand/wrist, gripping and elbow motion)
- Must have normal range of hearing, vision, color discrimination and depth perception for proper operation of machines and equipment
- Job requires the use of hand and power tools as it relates to the interior renovation of apartment units.
The candidate must be able to work independently and have great interpersonal and communication skills; possess strong project scheduling skills; familiar with construction; and some working knowledge with MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook (use iPhone)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years’ experience working in interior residential construction or related field.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, knowledge of business correspondence.
- Be able to read a tape measure, read blue prints, understand basic math, and understand fractions and decimals.
- Possess good time management skills. For example; be able to handle a wide variety of tasks and demands in a timely and safe manner.
- Must possess good organizational skills by keeping daily work schedules current to make sure projects are completed on time and under allotted budget.
- Maintain a clean and professional appearance, practice safe work procedures and maintain a clean working environment at all times.
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to travel to multiple sites required.