Senior Director, Investments
Denver, CO 80012
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing high-quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. AvalonBay currently owns and operates approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employs approximately 3,000 associates.
We are currently searching for a Senior Director, Investments to lead AvalonBay acquisition activity in the Denver, CO market.
The Senior Director, Investments identifies successful acquisition opportunities for potential investment, consistent with AvalonBay’s annual plan. This position leverages industry contacts to source opportunities and is a market expert on specific territories covered.
Scope and Responsibilities:
- Screen and oversee the underwriting of potential acquisitions, both to evaluate attractiveness to AVB as well as maintain accurate understanding of market dynamics (including maintaining pipeline reports for review by senior executives)
- Manage due diligence for communities to be acquired
- Prepare materials for successful opportunities for presentation to Investment Committee
- Participate in the negotiation of purchase and sale agreements and manage the closing process
- Oversee transition of purchased properties to management post-closing
- Engage in industry networking events and develop relationships with brokers and other professionals involved in the investment process
- Perform other administrative duties (such as tracking overall transaction activity in the markets covered)
- At least 3+ years of direct transaction experience and / or 5+ years of overall industry experience in related fields.
- BS in related discipline is required (Master’s degree in relevant area preferred)
- Strong underwriting and analytical skills
- Broad-based industry skills (exposure to asset management a plus)
- Ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing)
- Ability to perform on-site due diligence with minimal supervision
- Proven collaborative experience with internal resources across multiple departments and functions
- Experience mentoring and supervising junior associates
- Proven ability to network avidly within the broader industry and attends industry conferences and events on a selective basis
- Direct industry relationships with brokers, owners and operators and forges new ones
- Ability to advocate fairly for investment proposals, prioritizing quality over quantity
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and goodwill within relationships
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.