Falls Church, VA 20598
As a Service Apprentice, you will traing with one of our top property management teams to acquire the fundamental skills needed to become a successful Maintenance Technician. Under the general direction of the Maintenance Manager/Director, you will learn the fundamentals related to property maintenance — such as interior repairs, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), basic plumbing, basic appliances, and basic electric. During the 14-week training period, you will be introduced to Equity Residential techniques and concepts through on the job training and classroom courses. You will receive guidance and training from team members on ways to assess and respond to maintenance issues, develop rapport with residents by being both knowledgeable and friendly, and inspire trust by caring for our community and making our apartments feel like home. And the most exciting part: a successful completion of the program will result in promotion to Maintenance Technician.
- Passionate about Maintenance. You have a desire to learn more about the maintenance field and are quick to learn and apply new skills.
- Curious and Inquisitive. You ask questions, and have an appetite for understanding how things work.
- A Clear Communicator. You help residents and teammates understand the timeline and process for repairs.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering the best experience to residents.
- Personable. You are respectful, pleasant to be around, and enjoy engaging with others.
- Level headed. You keep your cool during maintenance emergencies and quickly find solutions.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, letting residents know they matter.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle multiple priorities and interactions with residents and teammates smoothly.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Partner with assigned service team members to learn how to effectively and efficiently resolve resident service requests. Receive training to become familiar with general processes and technical concepts, related to the preparation of all market-ready apartments, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Interior repairs: Make cosmetic repairs to finish carpentry, window coverings and wall coverings.
- Plumbing: Clear clogs, repair plumbing fixtures and attach/shut off water supply line.
- Appliances: Check for operation and install new appliances as needed.
- Electrical: Replace electrical components and other basic electrical tasks
- HVAC: Check for normal operation and perform preventative maintenance
- Observe, learn, and understand a wide range of maintenance skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff.
- Learn to operate light equipment to perform basic repairs as instructed by a skilled technical staff.
- Demonstrate these skills and processes as the training period progresses by working independently or with a team to perform tasks as instructed.
- Perform maintenance tasks as instructed by training staff to gain hands-on experience and demonstrate proficiency.
- Learn computer software applications relevant to service team members, including MRI, ERNIE and Google Apps.
- Learn essential day to day operational functions, such as company policies, timekeeping, employee safety, accessing online information through Equity’s intranet, email, and other various tasks as assigned.
- Complete e-learning training modules and instructor led training in a timely-manner as instructed by training staff.
- Apply classroom knowledge to the workplace and upholds the company policies to ensure a positive and safe work environment for all team members.
- Communicate with your team, asking for clarification and additional instruction as needed.
- Actively participate in training exercises and completes tasks in a timely fashion.
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned.
- General ability to demonstrate mechanical aptitude
- Availability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends
- Valid driver's license and/or access to reliable transportation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Adaptability, willingness to learn, multi-tasking and sound decision making abilities are required and essential to the success of this role
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Trade school and/or military training
- Computer proficiency is strongly desired.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan