Renovation Services Manager
San Francisco, CA 94102
Working for Equity Residential (EQR), a leading multi-family real estate investment trust (REIT), means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. Our portfolio of high-quality properties in urban growth markets – New York City, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles – provides homes where people most want to live, work and play. We've got the best people in the business, and our experience shows in our dedication to our residents and in how much we value each other as colleagues. That’s why our employees say they are proud to work at Equity, a company that gives our residents a place where they can Live Remarkably, and offers a culture where our employees have the opportunity to make their mark.
As a Renovation Services Manager, your days will be full, fast-paced, and challenging. Reporting to the Renovation Services Director, you will be responsible for the development and execution of apartment rehabs — typically located at multiple sites, between forty to sixty properties in your assigned regional portfolio. You will ensure that rehabs are competitively bid are completed timely and within budget, while also supervising and overseeing the development of regional rehab team members (typically Renovation Services Supervisors and/or Project Managers). Your role will require you to demonstrate excellent leadership, communication and collaboration skills, as well as hands-on project management skills – including strong computer proficiency. You will leverage your technical experience and communication skills in order to calmly and efficiently manage the stressful environments that can develop during construction projects. You will also leverage your strengths in relationship building on a daily basis, partnering with colleagues across all levels and departments of the organization (Property Management, Investments, Facilities, etc.) with the shared goal of maximizing the potential of asset performance and property employees in your region.
WHO YOU ARE
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- Proactive and Productive. You take initiative, manage your work efficiently, meet your deadlines, and consistently go above and beyond to contribute quality work and to assist other team members and business partners.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while confidently interacting with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- A Solution-Oriented Team Player. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Levelheaded. You keep your cool during stressful situations and quickly find solutions.
- Flexible and Adaptable. You understand that the world does not exist through black and white lenses and embrace opportunity to live in the gray.
- Energetic and Positive. You are an outgoing, gregarious leader who motivates others to elevate their performance.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Independently manage, evaluate and implement rehab projects — often complex in nature and running concurrently at multiple locations — for a portfolio of between 40 to 60 apartment communities.
- Develop rehab specifications and evaluate, validate, recommend, and implement the ones that are approved.
- Develop project plans to execute rehab projects including project scope and specifications. Lead the bidding process for contracting the work to qualified vendors.
- Provide recommendations for the selection of alternative scopes of work, finishes and materials.
- Manage the inspection and payment process pursuant to the contract.
- Report on the progress of all assigned projects. Alert management when problems occur as compared to the project plans of the assigned work.
- Manage the relationship with vendors.
- Provide job coordination and supervision of in-house rehab projects, including supervision of contractors and managing Equity Residential employees engaged in rehab activities; including Renovation Services Supervisors, Renovation Project Managers, various corporate team members (in Capital, Investments, Facilities, and Property Management departments), and on-site employees.
- Provide guidance and direction to contractors and provide quality control assessments for contractor work.
- Visit rehab sites on a regular basis.
- Perform Construction Services Manager functions as necessary for capital budget projects.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Strong background in residential construction and project management, with 5 to 7 years construction management experience or 10 years experience in the role of Facility Maintenance management.
- Strong leadership and communication skills required. Must possess a high degree of analytical skills and business acumen.
- Extensive knowledge of the rehab industry in the applicable market highly desired.
- Advanced computer skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable discipline (Construction Management or Engineering) is strongly preferred.
- Travel throughout the assigned region is necessary.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique benefits options to employees, like pet insurance and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan