Regional Safety Manager
New York, NY 10001
Job Type: Exempt
State::NY City:New York
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart.
We are currently seeking a Regional Safety Manager to be based in our New York City office. The Regional Safety Manager works with the Director, Health & Safety, Construction Directors, Project Managers and Project Superintendents in support of AvalonBay Corporate Safety and Health program requirements as well as compliance with municipal, state and federal safety and health regulations. This role serves as the regional-level contact for safety and health matters. The Regional Safety Manager will be required to provide support to multiple construction projects in various stages of completion. This function oversees, leads, directs and enforces safety and health on AvalonBay construction projects. The Regional Safety Manager assists project teams to identify, manage, and control hazardous conditions that may lead to injury and or property damage. This role supports construction projects within a defined geographical region, in this case New Jersey and south.
- Ceases work when conditions or circumstances are related to an immediate danger to life and health condition (IDLH) on a project. Directs AvalonBay contractor staff to immediately correct IDLH conditions.
- Recommends corrective action(s) for non-compliant conditions based on AvalonBay policies and applicable safety and health regulations.
- Investigates and reports safety and health issues, including incidents involving injury or property damage to AvalonBay Risk Management.
- Communicates with project staff and subcontractors to resolve project safety and health issues.
- Provides safety and health leadership to projects within assigned region. Builds working relationships with project staff and Subcontractors to develop fully compliant project.
- Enforces safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all municipal, state and federal regulations. Ensure compliance with AvalonBay safety and health program requirements and project specific Safety and Health Plan.
- Educates project staff on AvalonBay Construction Safety policies and procedures. Conducts training on AvalonBay safety and health programs as well as general construction safety topics as necessary to ensure project staff can recognize existing hazards.
- Conducts and documents project-wide safety and health inspections of assigned projects at least daily when work is in progress. This includes safety and health inspections required by municipal regulations.
- Assists the National Safety and Health Director in overall program improvement, implementation and expansion as directed. Completes other duties as assigned.
- Develops (and maintains current) the Construction Project Safety and Health Plan for the assigned project(s).
- Analyzes regional observation and injury data for trends. Makes recommendations for improvement(s).
- Reviews contractor safety and health submittals. Provides recommendations to improve contractor’s written safety and health documents.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety and Health or equivalent is strongly preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years of related construction safety experience.
- Exhibits knowledge of safety and health principles including the ability to identify known potential exposures and recommended corrective actions as demonstrated by prior work experience.
- Possesses management, leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly - both verbally and in writing as demonstrated by previous work experience.
- Trains non-technical staff on safety and health topics as demonstrated by previous work experience.
- Exhibits a working knowledge of OSHA Construction Safety and Health regulations, national consensus standards as well as municipal and state regulations governing construction project safety and health as demonstrated by previous work experience.
- Demonstrates clear and concise written and verbal communications. Demonstrated ability to create and deliver presentations on job related subject matter and to write reports in a clear, concise form.
- Performs arithmetic skills such as measurement, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in order to do basic calculations and analysis such as estimating, determining averages and percentages, and totals.
- Displays knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as word processing, presentations and spreadsheets, conduct internet searches and utilize email system as demonstrated by prior work experience
- Certifications such as Associate Safety Professional (ASP®), Certified Safety Professional (CSP®), Construction Health and Safety Technologist (CHST®) are desired.
- Current municipal and/or state licenses necessary to work in locations where such are required
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance, where applicable.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.