Accountant, Private Equity
San Mateo, CA 94401
Essex seeks a Private Equity Accountant (local candidates only), whose strengths lie in financial analysis and reporting, to join its co-investment team in its San Mateo, California office. The Private Equity Accountant reports directly to the Private Equity Controller.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review property level financials
- Prepare joint venture level journal entries including fair value entries
- Prepare joint venture level quarterly financial packages
- Develop basic understanding of governing joint venture agreements
- Perform internal audit functions
- Perform cash management
- Prepare capital call notices and distributions
- Assist with annual audits and tax returns
- Assist with annual property budget packages
- Work on special projects as requested by co-investment department, investors and/or lenders
A valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required;
- 3-5 years of strong, general full-cycle accounting experience preferably in real estate or investment management;
- 1-2 years of interaction with internal/external auditors;
- Solid understanding of accounting principles and familiarity with GAAP;
- High proficiency in Excel; knowledge of Yardi a plus;
- Must have excellent communication skills;
- Must be able to work well independently;
- Must be able to work within prescribed deadlines, display initiative and exercise good judgment.