Development - Assistant Controller
Hayward, CA 94541
Manages and directs the accounting and reporting functions for affordable housing properties during the development and major rehab period for Eden Housing, Inc. and its affiliates.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring accurate and timely project and development monthly reporting, internal and external development loan draws, accounts payable processing, and other management reports.
- Collaborates with development staff to ensure understanding of project, financing structure and timing of key milestones.
- Review development and acquisition pro-formas.
- Ensures timely completion of developer fee payments and return of owner advances.
- Provides technical skills and oversight to account for complex transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coordinates with Auditors and Development for timely cost certification audits, tax returns and financial audits during the development period and the first year of operations.
- Collaborates with development for the timely distribution of development related reports to applicable third parties.
- Collaborates with Property Management Accounting for the timely transfers of accounting information of development projects. Responsible for accounting of projects through the first year-end after cost certification date.
- Participates in corporate planning process to assure Eden and its subsidiaries achieve their goals and objectives.
- Provides responses to investor and lender inquiries in conjunction with Development.
- Insure that internal controls are in place and maintained to insure maximum protection and controls of the companies’ financial information and accounting processes.
- Shares responsibility with the Controller and Chief Financial Officer for evaluation and implementation of systems, policies and procedures.
- Identifies and develops appropriate training for staff.
- Maintains clear and accessible electronic filing system for each project.
Supervises three to five employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, applicable laws and responsibilities as summarized below. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; performance reviews; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Provide guidance and training to staff in order for them to meet the expectations of their positions.
Supervises and monitors individual staff performance to ensure:
- Timely and accurate completion of assigned projects including monthly draws and monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Fair and reasonable allocation of workload
- Timely and accurate completion of development accounts payable processes
- Accurate and comprehensive financial reports and financial analysis
- Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of the company, as well as, the role of the individual in the department and the company as a whole
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or B.A. with an emphasis in Accounting, Economics or Finance
- Five years of related experience
- Minimum of two years of supervisory experience
- Non Profit Accounting, Development Accounting and/or Affordable Housing, preferred
PREFERRED SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), decision-making, interpersonal and time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Flexible, creative, well-organized.
- Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast paced, growth environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to supervise staff.
- Experience working with diverse groups, i.e., staff, residents, outside contacts.
- Commitment to the companies’ goals and philosophy.
- Experience with Yardi, preferred