Assistant Property Manager
Berkeley, CA 94702
In 1996, Mark Edlen and Robert Gerding created Gerding Edlen with the vision to approach real estate with the singular focus of creating places for people. They were committed to creating, developing, operating and owning vibrant properties where residents could live, work and learn. This original vision remains—guiding Gerding Edlen and positioning it as a national leader in sustainability. Gerding Edlen has evolved to include expertise in investment management and property management, further adding value to its properties throughout the ownership cycle. Looking to the future, Gerding Edlen continues to create exceptional places that will improve our communities, environments and lives. Our Principles of Place guide one simple thing: creating vibrant, inspiring and sustainable spaces where people can work, learn and live. We created the Livable Place Index™ to measure the global impact that sustainable buildings and their occupants have on energy, air, and water. Higby, one of our Berkeley properties, is no exception, and it's your leadership that will help drive our success. Your primarily responsibilities will include:
- Maintains customer service standards and responds clearly and in a timely manner to residents' needs and complaints. Follows through to ensure resolution.
- Investigates tenant/resident disturbances, violations, or complaints, and resolve problems in accordance with regulations established in the lease agreements and/or Condominium Documents. Sends violation letters and assesses fines.
- This includes processing of residential rent payments, verifying and coding of vendor payments, maintaining accurate residential ledgers, and completing month end accounting processes.
- Partnering closely with internal Marketing team to drive marketing initiatives (social media, networking, advertising, etc.) for various properties, to source prospective residents.
- Meet and greet prospective tenants to show property, explain terms of occupancy, provide information about amenities and neighborhood and determine availability based on individual needs and desires.
- Implement successful sales and leasing strategies, matching solutions to individual needs that results in leased apartments. This includes negotiating lease terms, and preparing and review appropriate lease documents and forms.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring compliance with all Fair housing regulations and local ordinances and laws.
- Conduct market surveys, maintaining current knowledge of current market, rents and promotions, building/company policies and security practices.
- Create advertisements that describe building amenities and available apartments, initiate market research studies and analyze their findings.
- Inspects property, including common areas and vacant units, on a regular basis and reports any repair or replacement needs to Maintenance Supervisor.
- Supervising property staff in the General Manager's absence.
Your primarily responsibilities will include:
- Ability to successfully build rapport with potential residents, gaining their trust and respect quickly and easily.
- Ability to diplomatically and skillfully negotiate conversations and influence decisions, winning concessions without damaging relationships.
- Ability to successfully lease apartments, while maintaining the reputation of the company.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite, including Outlook, Excel and Word, with the ability to easily navigate the internet.
- Customer focus – dedication to meeting the expectations, needs and requirements of internal and external customers, successfully gaining their trust and respect.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (in English), allowing for clear and succinct communication in a variety of settings (phone, in-person and email), and with people of various backgrounds and levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to follow-up on, and follow through with, multiple tasks.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Ability to work successfully both independently and with others, building professional working relationships based on mutual trust and respect.
- Strong planning and organizing skill, with the ability to efficiently manage administrative elements of property manage, including maintaining accurate files and records.
- Ability to think and respond quickly, successfully resolving problems in a timely manner and with limited direction.
- Familiarity with Yardi management software.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required; an Undergraduate Degree preferred.
- A minimum of two years of experience in the field of property management.
- Hotel, hospitality or other upscale, luxury service experience is preferred.
- Experience with sustainable building management preferred.
- Certified Apartment Manager (CAM) License a plus.
Gerding Edlen is a medium-sized development, investment management, and property management firm located in Portland's Pearl District. We provide a full suite of benefits, including 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for eligible employees. If interested, submit your resume and cover letter via the link provided.