Community Manager (above 300 units)
Essex Property Trust, Inc. San Diego, CA 92101
About this job
The person in this position is responsible for all aspects of the community’s operations and objectives. Accountable for: operating the property budget with the primary objective of increasing the Net Operating Income (NOI) by meeting or exceeding budget for revenue and expense independently; maintaining the physical asset; providing a quality living environment for residents; and establishing a positive and productive working relationship with the staff. This position reports to the Regional Portfolio Manager or Area Manager.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees the day-to-day financial, sales, marketing, maintenance, and administrative operations of the community
- Effectively manages personnel throughout their employment lifecycle, i.e., selection through separation. This includes candidate selection, career planning and development, accountability and performance management, and recognition
- Manage expenses closely and within budget, communicate any overages in advance, actively pursue expense savings.
- Maintains the highest level of customer service for prospects, residents, vendors, and corporate departments
- Manages financial performance and remains current on market conditions
- Pursue revenue via additional opportunities through other income audits; actively participate in rate setting for new leases and renewals ensuring we are maximizing rental income.
- Compliance with company standards as defined in the Human Resources Policy Manual, Operations Playbook and applicable laws, e.g., Fair Housing, Landlord Tenant, Local Building Codes, OSHA, and EEOC
- Job is intermittently sedentary, but requires mobility (i.e., climb stairs) to tour community on a daily basis
- Will use some repetitive motion of hands/wrists using a computer
- Requires light lifting
Position requires ability to work any of the 7 days of the week, 52 weeks of the year. It is critical that individuals possess the ability to work their scheduled hours plus any other hours necessary to complete the job and must attend training classes as scheduled. Work schedules and location assignments are subject to change. Ensure compliance with time management policies including meal and rest periods.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred, some college preferred
- Property management certification strongly preferred
- Two to five years property management experience preferred or related management experience
- Proven ability to supervise staff of two or more associates
- Solid sales, marketing and customer service experience
- Knowledge of budgets and financial statements and ability to work within budgeted guidelines
- Proven organizational and time management skills
- Valid driver license and automobile insurance
- Ability to read and write English; speak English and understand spoken English
- Proficient understanding of the Microsoft suite, property management software preferred