Manhattan, NY 10019
Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community – employees and residents – striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we live and work. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
We understand how important first impressions are and our Porters are an integral part of each apartment community’s success. Ensuring that both the facade and the interior of the community are fresh, clean and appealing makes our residents proud to call an Equity community home. Porters are personable, have a keen eye for detail, and a willingness to learn.
As a Porter, you will work with one of our top property management teams to provide exceptional service to residents. Each day will be unique, requiring a diverse set of skills. You will collaborate with team members to assess and respond to grounds and maintenance issues, develop rapport with residents by being both knowledgeable and friendly, and inspire trust by caring for our community and making our apartments feel like home.
- Passionate. You have an understanding of curb appeal and basic maintenance and are quick to learn new skills.
- A Clear Communicator. You help residents and teammates understand the timeline and process for repairs when necessary.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering the best experience to residents.
- Proactive. You think like an owner, proactively approaching your responsibilities.
- Personable. You are respectful, pleasant to be around, and enjoy engaging with others.
- Levelheaded. You keep your cool in urgent situations and respond quickly to find solutions.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, letting residents know they matter.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle multiple priorities and interactions with residents and teammates smoothly.
- Enhance our community. You’ll be responsible for assisting with repairing and maintaining the community features, ensuring a safe and clean living experience for your residents. On-the-job training will be provided as needed.
- Build rapport with residents. You'll make positive connections with residents by offering a smile and a greeting when you see them and chatting as you make repairs around the community.
- Respond to service needs and make-ready schedule. You’ll launch into action when maintenance issues arise, working closely with your manager and other community team members. During the turnover process, you will help execute painting and cleaning vacant apartment homes.
- Tend to preventive maintenance. You’ll safeguard equipment with regular tune-ups, helping equipment last longer and minimizing costly repairs.
- Notice the details. You’ll walk the property daily, inspecting all areas for cleanliness and safety, and helping to maintain great curb appeal.
- General interest in custodial and/or maintenance work and an ability to demonstrate mechanical aptitude
- Availability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends
- Valid driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Trade school and/or military training
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan